Saturday, August 26, 2017

There Is A Fountain

One of my favorite things to do whenever I visit my local garden center is to go to the section where they sell water features such as backyard pond kits, bird baths and garden fountains. There is just something sooooo soothing about listening to running water. It's probably the same calming effect that my own shower affords me. Just the sound of the running water blocks out all distractions and soothes the soul. On my most recent visit to one of my favorite garden centers, I walked past a small boy who was standing with his mom beside a trickling fountain just about the same size as he was. He stared and stared at the fountain trying his best to keep his hands in his pockets but temptation finally got the best of him and he blurted out his question quite rapidly to his mom.. . . . . . "Can I put my finger in it?"  His mom replied, " No you may not!" With that, he began to pout, but trying to be obedient, he followed his mother as she walked away. I couldn't help but snicker as I watched him walk away because as he did so he made his finger wave through the air as if he were running it through the water. Maybe that was his little way of "envisioning" what it may have been like. Funny thing is. . . . . I myself can never resist the temptation to put my finger in any trickling fountain or any cement ball that has water flowing out of the top hole and covering the ball! Nope! I just can't do it! The temptation to feel the cool soothing water is too great. It makes me smile! Do you resist it? If you do resist, well. . . . You should let the kid in you come out to play just once more. You won't be disappointed. When I see the fountains I always think of the line in the old hymn, There Is A River. It says, " Come to the fountain. . . . There is a vast supply. . . . There is a river that never shall run dry". That cooling, relaxing and soothing that is found in touching the water in the fountain can also be found in Jesus! HE is our fountain, and. . . . Aren't you glad that there won't be anyone standing beside you saying, "No, you may not!" So, touch him today. I know you'll be refreshed.

Insight Insert: There are lots of times I'm sure when the kid in us all would like to come out. So, what's holding you back? Are you afraid of looking or feeling foolish? Life is way too short to not be lived to its fullest. A good exercise in stretching those childlike wings is to go and serve some amazing ministry time in your local church nursery. If that's not possible, go somewhere where there are multiple families with children and just sit and observe! Watch what the children do with no inhabitions and then using them as a pattern, do something this week with the freedom of those children. Swing on the playground, take your shoes off and put your feet in that creek or sing a song as you walk through the store! Ha! That last one is amazing! I do that on occasion and have actually had people join in along with me. Jesus never did intend for the starch in our collars to get so stiff!

Scripture:  Isaiah 46:4.  Even to your old age and gray hair I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

                    Galations 5:1.  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment