Saturday, July 8, 2017

Advertising Assault

Today I am sitting at a phenominal auction that is chock full of old advertising items. I Don't think I've ever seen so much of it in one place before. There are old drug store signs, old magazine pages with vintage Coke & Pepsi ads, old showcases from the old 5 & 10 cent stores and I could go on and on! I am experiencing a visual assault of epic preportions of paper, photos and company logos. It's amazing isn't it how much of what we purchase and partake of is driven by all this stuff! If I want my mouth to be "minty fresh" then I must buy some Wrigleys Spearmint Gum. If I want to have a "heavenly coffee" experience then the only coffee to drink is Chock Full O Nuts! And, if I want the whitest smile ever, I must "brush my teeth with Pepsodent"! Wow! How do we get by in life without all of this valuable guidance? How can we know??? How do we choose? It's too overwhelming! I know, I know, these companies are out to just make a living and it's called "free enterprise" but seriously, shouldn't it be called " assault in disguise"? What did people do before all this advertising came into play to "help us along"? Are we gullible enough to believe all of these super slogans? Hmmm. As I sit here and ponder whether I am going to Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts or McDonalds for my favorite coffee after this auction, I have no trouble at all making my decision because I've tried them all and my taste buds have already made their choice so the cool pink and brown sign nor the mermaid will sway this Golden Arches girl!

Insight Insert:   We are "assaulted" on a daily basis with things , opinions and pictures that tell us what we should do, buy and how we should live. Switch off the tv this week, disconnect from the Internet and pull away for a bit and talk to your creator! Ask him where you should go, what you should do when you get there and what you should say when you encounter that moment of destiny. Trust him fully to guide your steps and be surprised at how it feels to listen to one voice only and act upon that! Life as you know it could change just a bit!


Scripture:  Isaiah 30:21.  Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying "this is the way; walk in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment