Monday, August 19, 2019

The Rhythm Of Sunflowers

I don't know about you but sometimes my sleep at night is very broken. On one such night a few days ago I awoke with a sketchy but somewhat familiar term in my head. It was ”Circadian Rhythyms”. I know, say no more. I truly don't know what depth of thought well that one rose to the top of but nonetheless, there it was. Circadian Rhythym refers to the natural wake-sleep cycle or internal clock that we were created with. That cycle repeats every 24 hours. This ”circadian rhythm” can also be found in some plants, animals and bacteria. Sometimes light or temperature can cause a fluctuation in the circadian rhythm. Hence my broken sleep. As I lay there thinking on why this ridiculous term was in my head a myriad of thoughts still flooded my brain. I wondered if my broken sleep had anything to do with too much screen time on my iPad or the intense heat while working in my garden. Maybe, but then I had a picture of a sunflower pop into my head. Again, like a good friend of mine says, ” I can't make this stuff up” so I pay attention. It seems Sunflowers are one of the plants that exhibit a definite circadian rhythm on a continuous basis. You see when the sun rises in the east the sunflowers’ blossom turns to face the sun and all throughout the day their faces are turned towards the sun. At the end of the day they they are facing West where the sun sets.During the hours of darkness the blooms make their way back to eastward facing just in time to greet the sun once more. Now, if this wasn't enough, just wait there's more. Now if the rhythm is somehow messed up or interrupted in the sun flower they face each other to share their energy. Ok this is good stuff! My friendwhom I was sharing all of this with  found a picture online and posted it to illustrate what the sunflowers do. It said, ” imagine if humans could do this too”. What a Godly concept that I'm sure our Creator built right into the Circadian Rhythm that he gave the sunflowers. I say, ” we humans do have it too!” When the rhythm of one is thrown off by tragedy or sickness or whatever then God sends another human to them to draw strength and comfort from. He sends them to hold the other up until that rhythm is restored. You see as long as the sun flower keeps facing the ”son” then its’ rhythm is beautiful. So, we will keep looking towards that son whose name is Jesus and encourage one another and face each other for strength and wisdom. It's such a great idea given by the great Creator and we don't wanna mess up that rhythm now do we? 
Insight Insert: The next time you are awakened in the middle of the night I encourage you to make the best use of your ”awake” time. Pray for someone you know that is struggling or is having a difficult time. Then, when morning comes give them a call or go see them. Let’s get the ”rhythm” that the Creator gave us back into the proper cadence, keeping our eyes on the ”son” at all times.
Scripture: Hebrews 10: 23-25


”Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”

No comments:

Post a Comment