Saturday, June 3, 2017

Black Faced Sheep



There is something beautiful about a black faced sheep. I can't quite put my finger on why but I know that when I look at them they always bring a sort of serenity and they always make me smile. We as Christians have been compared to them in the Bible. When Jesus was spoken of in the bible he was referred to as the shepherd and we as the sheep. Without the shepherd leading the sheep they would be scattered and lost. It was the duty of the shepherd to keep the sheep together because wolves would try to get in and harm the flock from time to time and try to separate them. His aim was to divide and conquer! Now shepherds would customarily create a sheepfold at night, an enclosure topped by thorns to keep the sheep in and the predators out. The shepherd would sleep across the entrance becoming virtually a "door" to the fold, effectively barring the entrance so nothing could creep up on the sheep as they slept. " Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me". (Psalm 23:4) There were also times when the sheep would wander into dangerous circumstances, getting caught in a thicket, passing near a predator, floating down a river, so the shepherd uses his tools, the rod and staff to defend and protect and to rescue and bring his sheep back into his protection. The crook of a typical shepherds' staff will many times be used to hook a sheep's neck or leg to redirect, hold or nudge them-- not to hurt them but rather to keep them safe. Sheep are the most precious and valuable asset a shepherd has; therefore a good shepherd treats them as a treasure. We likewise can find ourselves in bad situations. God will never abandon us to face those challenges alone. Sometimes when bad things happen to us we automatically want to blame the wolf (enemy) for the wrong that we are feeling. What if it was simply the shepherd trying to keep us from the path of harm? It's very conceivable to imagine that could happen that way with full intent for it being for our good! He will sometimes have to nudge us or redirect us back onto a path that is much better for us to be on. He is good and He loves us and he will support us and bring us through to the other side if we trust Him. If the shepherd couldn't be trusted then the sheep would be scattered and going each to their own way. There's always power and safety in numbers and the shepherd knows this well. Now, here's my little comparison to this black faced sheep that I love so much. The black face will always remind me of the sin that I have been forgiven of and the sin that will forever try to creep back over my face and into my life if I don't stay close to the shepherd. The full coat of wool that the sheep wears reminds me of the warmth and fullness of the love that I am covered with. His spindly little legs keep me ever mindful of how fragile I am and how quickly my feet can be found to fall and falter under the blackness of that same sin. I need my Shepherd to be there with me at every turn, every rocky cliff, every pothole, every valley that I find myself in and to protect me from every encounter with the wolves in my life. He will do all of that if I stay close and listen for his guidance and direction. "We are his people and the sheep of his pasture." (Psalm 100:3) We need Him! We desperately need Him to take care of us and watch over us. We need to allow Him to do his job though and not try to do it ourselves. We need the other sheep too. There is safety in numbers and if we stick together the wolves are less likely to try and charge right into the middle of the flock. There is something beautiful and genius about how all of this was set up isn't there! Like I said, "There is something beautiful about a black faced sheep"!

No comments:

Post a Comment