Monday, May 29, 2017

When Trouble Came Knocking



You know, as of late I have been observing things in my life that for some odd reason never occurred to me until now. I don't know if you'd consider me a slow learner or just an eternal optimist with a denial for the obvious. Whichever the case, I am becoming wise to a few things. For instance, last night trouble came knocking at my door and it looked oddly like my husband. Upon arriving home late in the evening, we started arguing about something walking into the front door together. The argument carried itself all the way upstairs as I got ready for bed. He went into another room and I layed down in bed and cried for two hours thinking that he was the biggest jackass in the world. The next morning I was awakened to him asking if I wanted coffee and breakfast and I mumbled " sure" under my breath as I remembered the events of the night before. Hmmmmm, and did he remember the events of the night before? He sure did! It made me have a flashback of when I told my children if they were misbehaving in public that they would be receiving a spanking when we got home. They knew that I meant it so all the way home, they extolled my virtues."You're the best mommy" and "I love you soooooo much mommy" and the best one, "do you love me mommy?". Yeah, smoozing at its finest! That's sort of how I felt with my husband. The breakfast was to smooze me a little to settle me down so that the repercussions of his actions would not be met as severely! Have you ever noticed that in your lives before? Situations that were very troublesome being met with some kind of "peace offering" to make the pill go down easier? I am watching fully now and seem to observe it quite often. Now with children I do understand that it will happen as their little defense/ self preservation mechanisms kick in but adults? I also observed another instance when trouble came knocking with a close friend who for whatever reason misread a text that I had sent her and then continued by texting me back with very harsh words of rebuke and judgement. I felt debased! How could she think that I meant those things that she was saying and how could she not know my heart about the situation? Well, I did what I do best when I feel falsely accused. Yep, cried like a baby. It was not until the next day that she called me and told me that she had indeed read the text wrong and then began to smother me with words of kindness and encouragement and of course apology. The sting of it all was minimized but the pain still lingered a bit. We reconciled any differences and are once more the best of friends and have made a pact that texting is NOT the way to go when we are communicating important subjects. So, what's my "take away" from all these experiences? I have to tell you that I didn't quite frankly know the answer to that one but I did know I had to take it to the one who does have the answers. So, what do you suppose the Lord spoke to me when I asked him what to do when troubles come knocking? Once again it landed back in my lap as to be the one who was to make the changes. Ugh! So, The Lord told me this, that I was to give them a gift! ?????? Ok, so explain Lord. . . . . . Before you give them a piece of your mind, a good thrashing of words, or a mumbling under your breath or even hours of your heartfelt tears, you need to give them a gift simply because it's the way that I want you to react. Take the gift of mercy and tie it up with the most glorious bow of love that you can find and place it in their hands. Already you will have set the mood and the stage for the table of your trouble. It will be met with shock and surprise, maybe even taking them back a bit but it will give you more time at this point to set the rest of the table. In I Thessalonians 5:15 it says, "See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone". So, my table of troubles needs to be set with the tablecloth of love and dishes of goodness. It also says in Colossians 3:15 "and let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body and be thankful". II Peter 3 says, ". . . . and count the patience of our Lord as salvation". Beside the dishes of goodness I should place utensils of peace along with serving spoons of thankfulness and then place glasses that will serve endless patience. If your table is set according to my Word the Lord instructed, then the meal that is served from this point on will be so very appetizing. It's all in the preparation of your heart you see. It's all about being ready and not still dressed in your pajamas when trouble comes knocking at your door. So, here we are! MY attitude is the one that has to reflect Christ no matter if I'm very falsely accused or if I'm very right! Doesn't seem "fair" does it? Sigh! But it's really not about fairness or unfairness it IS about right and wrong. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock, if any man hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him and sup with him and he with me".(Revelations 3) Also, " anyone who loves me will obey my teaching".(John 14) So, my takeaway is this, which just coincidently is my life scripture, (Prov 3: 5,6) " trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding but in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your paths". And when your troubles come knocking. . . . .well, you'll have your best dress and your pearls on and when you open the door that special guest of honor will walk in with your troubles and you will be ready! The meal will surely be delicious as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment