Monday, May 22, 2017

Seeing Glory In The Cracks



The sun is up and in its place after a night which brought to us a long soaking rain. I love hearing rain on the roof and knowing that it's Gods way of taking care of his garden. Lately, there has been such a hot and dry season and the rain brings much needed refreshing. When I walked out on the deck this morning to enjoy my morning coffee I noticed that a typically mischievous morning glory had poked it's head up through the crack of the deck boards. Usually this would have annoyed me but as I sat there looking at it I found it to be quite beautiful and of course the reason I am inspired in this writing. You see, we all have cracks that open up in our lives from time to time and to me they are not usually anything that you would desire but they still happen. They generally look like troubles or sadness or fatigue/exhaustion and nobody likes those things. But when the cracks come, what do you do? The usual response is an unwelcome one but I do have to admit that lately my vision of them or at least my response to cracks has changed. Cracks always remind me of a weakness; a crack in the foundation of a house or a crack in the driveway tells me that there is something going on underneath that needs attention and suring up. Cracks remind us that weak areas will get exposed and we need to be motivated to repair them so that more damage does not happen. Cracks aren't welcomed but maybe they happen so that things can be restored to the healthier state of being. If cracks look like depression, an argument with someone you love or even a death of someone you care for deeply, I'm here to tell you that you need to cry out to the only one who can give you what you need to overcome your adversity; to repair your crack. Psalm 3:4 says, "I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and He heard me out of his holy hill". God will respond to the cries of his children when they suffer! He hears us when we cry out to Him. Cracks may bring us to our knees and that's a good place to be believe it or not. Cracks or "the trying of your faith", work for your good if you can see it that way. We pray those trials of our faith, as Peter says, "might be found unto praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ". They can help to purify us and to develop in us the very nature and likeness of Christ. So, if you are looking at a crack in your life today, count it all joy if you will and know that the God in heaven who loves you is indeed working all things for your good. And "that you may be (made) perfect and entire, wanting nothing". Watch and see if the glory of God won't poke it's head through your adversity (crack) and make you smile again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment