Monday, October 7, 2019

Living in Splendor

What does it actually mean to live in splendor? Webster’s define ’Splendor’ as magnificence or grandeur. When I think of grandeur it evokes visions of mansions on high cliffs overlooking the sea or castles perched on rolling hills in places like England, Scotland or Ireland. Magnificent homes that possibly kings and queens would dwell in. To use the adjective ”Breathtaking” would probably be an understatement.
As I spoke to some good friends yesterday I was recounting some of the places that I have been blessed to live in. While they were not castles of splendor perched on green cliffs overlooking the ocean they each held a beauty in their own right or at least many beautiful memories. I never looked at my dwellings as places of splendor but they were. You see, it wasn't what the outside of the homes looked like but it was the things that were inside that were grand and magnificent. It was the family, the laughter, the late night movies, baking Christmas cookies  and decorating the tree and the dinners around the Thanksgiving table. These all contributed to our dwellings being grand and magnificent. It's always what's on the inside that counts more you know. It's never about the facade but about the heart. 
Recently I was listening to an old hymn written by Fanny Crosby in 1873. She was blind but she had a magnificence on the inside of peace and contentment even though she couldn't see. In 1873 she penned the lyrics to the old hymn ”Blessed Assurance”. Her words captured the essence of joy, hope and contentment as we look forward to our home in heaven. It looked bad for her on the outside because she could not see in the physical but oh, how she could see on the inside in the spiritual realm. Her words just penetrate my spirit: ”blessed assurance Jesus is mine, oh what a foretaste of glory divine”! The chorus of that beautiful hymn though is what strikes me so hard when it says, ”this is my story this is is my song, praising my Savior all the day long”. When that chorus is sung my mind flashes back to a little girl of 5 or 6 years and she is sitting on the church pew behind her grandmother as she plays that song on the church organ. I used to love hearing her play and I would sing that chorus all the time because it was my favorite. At 5 or 6 I believed! I believed in all the things that I was being taught and held them even then, very close inside my heart. My story, my song started back then. My dwelling place of splendor was built the day I believed. The building started the day the door of my heart swung open and I allowed the one who holds the book of life to come in and dwell with me. My house is a house of ”splendor” and it's grand and magnificent because of who dwells there. So, you see, a king does live at my address and it's absolutely splendid. 
Majesty and splendor are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment